News about our members
News about incubators that are Members or Supporting Members of the BIA/NYS, posted by the member or through the site administrator.
Submitted by admin on May 30, 2016 - 8:44pm
Clarkson University, which operates the Peyton Hall business incubator, held groundbreaking ceremonies for additional incubator space in nearby Damon Hall and at Old Main, the old administration building at the heart of the university's former campus in downtown Potsdam:
A separate university news release also profiles The Robot Zone, a student-initiated business focusing on STEM education that has now graduated from the Peyton Hall incubator and operates from commercial space on Main Street.
Submitted by admin on May 30, 2016 - 8:30pm
Two startups commercializing technology from the Air Force Research Laboratory Information Directorate (AFRL/RI) won $25,000 apiece at the latest demo day of the Commercialization Academy held by the Griffiss Institute and Wasabi Ventures:
- Xompass FaaS, a service platform providing intelligence to the energy industry, won the judges' vote; and
- OneTouchTrust, which combats identity theft, won the audience vote.
Principals of AFRL/RI, Griffiss Institute, and Wasabi Ventures, which collaborate on the Commercialization Academy are all on the agenda at our annual meeting, scheduled to speak broadly about ways incubator-based startups across the state can leverage the AFRL/RI in Rome and the defense-industry supply chain.
For more background on the winners, please see the Griffiss Institute news release.
Submitted by admin on May 19, 2016 - 10:29am
LaunchPad Long Island, a multi-site incubator, coworking, and acceleration program, has joined BIA/NYS as our newest supporting member. The four operating sites for LaunchPad are Great Neck, Huntington, Mineola, and NYIT with a fifth arrangement with Stony Brook University's LIHTI to be announced shortly.
Started by investor-entrepreneur Andrew Hazen, LaunchPad LI is a combination of an incubator operator and a non-profit acceleration program that provides services across five sites, three controlled by the company itself and two at our existing supporting members (NYIT's ETIC and Stony Brook University's LIHTI). The nonprofit affiliate of LaunchPad has been designated as a Certified Business Incubator by Empire State Development's Division of Science, Technology and Innovation.
The principals of LaunchPad also operate a seed fund, but tenant/clients are not required to be in the investment portfolio. Finally, LaunchPad also has a robust program of public events, including pitch nights and Long Island Tech Day that has expanded dramatically to attendance of nearly 3,000 at Mitchell Field in the last two years. We warmly welcome LaunchPad Long Island and all its affiliates to membership!
Submitted by admin on May 19, 2016 - 8:31am
The Zahn Innovation Center at City College of New York (CCNY) announced the selection of four grand prize winners in its annual venture competition focused on the CCNY community. The winners receive an automatic spot in the incubator's summer accelerator program and invitations to commercial accelerators:
- VeriPAD, an app to authenticate medication delivery in developing countries, won the $25,000 Zahn Social Impact Prize and will use the funds to test in Kenya and Lebanon.
- Hybridia, a tool for laparoscopic surgery, won the $25,000 Zahn Technology Prize and will use the funds to test a prototype in NYC hospitals;
- StreetLabs, a technology for monitoring NYC road repair, won the $25,000 Standard Chartered Women+Tech4NYC prize and will use the funds to test in Upper Manhattan with NYC DOT;
- Applied Motions, a wearable that uses biofeedback to increase athletic performance while preventing injury, won the $50,000 Kaylie Connected Devices prize and will use the funds for manufacturing and testing.
Four runners-up also won $5,000 each. For more information, please see the Zahn Center's news release.