- Find an incubator in NYS
- Clean energy incubators
- Student incubators
- Seed stage investment funds in NYS
- Angel investor groups in NYS
- Research parks in NYS
- SUNY Incubators Fact Sheet
- Small-business resources on 'New York First' economic-development portal
- NYS handbooks for entrepreneurs
- Upstate NY Resources
- Events calendar
News about our members
News about incubators that are Members or Supporting Members of the BIA/NYS, posted by the member or through the site administrator.
Two of our member incubator programs collaborate on new resource for upstate innovation & entrepreneurshipSubmitted by admin on January 22, 2014 - 9:59pm
Several units of SUNY's University at Buffalo, including the two incubators operated by the UB Office of Science, Technology Transfer and Economic Outreach (STOR), have collaborated with our member Launch NY to debut www.upstatenyresources.org, a new web resource for current and would-be entrepreneurs. For more information, see UB's news release.
Crain's highlights two diverse approaches to modernizing keys, both tenant/clients of our member incubators in NYCSubmitted by admin on December 30, 2013 - 4:37pm
Crain's New York Business highlighted two startups occupying different segments of the market for keys, and both firms are being incubated by our member incubators in New York City:
- KeyMe, which offers a system to host the description of physical keys so that backups and extra copies can be produced at retail kiosks, is a tenant/client of the NY Designs incubator at CUNY LaGuardia Community College;
- Kisi, which offers a system to allow smartphone users to open any electrically operated door, is a tenant/client of NYU-Poly's DUMBO Incubator.
RIT Venture Creations announces milestone for Sweetwater Energy, graduate of the affiliated NYSERDA Clean Energy Incubator, and new video series for regional entrepreneursSubmitted by admin on December 30, 2013 - 4:06pm
The Venture Creations incubator at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) announced that Sweetwater Energy, a highly successful 2012 graduate of the associated NYSERDA-sponsored Clean Energy Incubator, has signed a $100 million deal to supply California-based Pacific Ethanol with industrial sugars dervied from non-edible agricultural waste that can be fermented into fuels without driving up demand for food sources like corn.
This brings the volume of contracts signed this year to over half a billion dollars, and the firm is on track to reach $1 billion in 5 years. Sweetwater sells waste-derived sugars for use in ethanol-based fuels and industrial feedstocks to customers nationwide. Up to 50 jobs will be created in Rochester through a joint venture with Naturally Scientific. For more, see the attached news release.
Venture Creations also announced the release of a series of "Startup Insider" videos aimed at first-time entrepreneurs. Venture Creations director Bill Jones is featured in one of the videos, which are available here. For more, see the attached news release.
Submitted by admin on December 30, 2013 - 3:32pm
Three tenant/clients of the CUNY Zahn Center hardware incubator at City College of New York announced big wins:
- Keen Home was one of 10 startups accepted into the Techstars-affiliated R/GA Connected Devices Accelerator. Keen, which is developing connected devices for the home starting with an air vent, will receive up to $120,000 in funding from R/GA Ventures as well as space, support and prototyping services from the agency's designers and developers. More here.
- Blue Canary, which is working on exchange of contact information through bluetooth and social media, won first place and a $4,000 prize through the CUNY Entrepreneurial Concept Competition;
- Tanjin Panna, a cofounder of Gestherapy, was selected for participation in the ELabNYC entrepreneurship training and mentoring program sponsored by New York City Economic Development Corporation. Gestherapy is using virtual reality for "gestures-based" physical therapy.
Haytham Elhawary, director of the Zahn Center, is currently a member of our board of directors and is a mentor with the R/GA Accelerator.