- Find an incubator in NYS
- Clean energy incubators
- Student incubators
- Seed stage investment funds in NYS
- Angel investor groups in NYS
- Research parks in NYS
- SUNY Incubators Fact Sheet
- Small-business resources on 'New York First' economic-development portal
- NYS handbooks for entrepreneurs
- Upstate NY Resources
- Events calendar
News about tenant/clients
News about tenant/clients of BIA/NYS member incubator programs.
Submitted by admin on December 30, 2013 - 3:32pm
Three tenant/clients of the CUNY Zahn Center hardware incubator at City College of New York announced big wins:
- Keen Home was one of 10 startups accepted into the Techstars-affiliated R/GA Connected Devices Accelerator. Keen, which is developing connected devices for the home starting with an air vent, will receive up to $120,000 in funding from R/GA Ventures as well as space, support and prototyping services from the agency's designers and developers. More here.
- Blue Canary, which is working on exchange of contact information through bluetooth and social media, won first place and a $4,000 prize through the CUNY Entrepreneurial Concept Competition;
- Tanjin Panna, a cofounder of Gestherapy, was selected for participation in the ELabNYC entrepreneurship training and mentoring program sponsored by New York City Economic Development Corporation. Gestherapy is using virtual reality for "gestures-based" physical therapy.
Haytham Elhawary, director of the Zahn Center, is currently a member of our board of directors and is a mentor with the R/GA Accelerator.
Incubator operator High Tech Rochester announces rollout of NYSERDA-sponsored Proof of Concept CenterSubmitted by admin on November 27, 2013 - 10:13pm
Our member High Tech Rochester, operator of two incubators, has recently announced a NYSERDA-supported proof of concept center that will make available up to $50,000 per team to help clean-energy inventors and technologists connect with an "entrerpeneurial lead" and, under the advice of highly skilled mentors, engage in the "lean startup" process to develop a testable business model and prototype products.
The program, called NEXUS-NY, is funded at $500,000 annually by NYSERDA and will support projects emerging from universities or independent entrpreneurs across upstate. A parallel program, PowerBridge, is co-led by our member the NYU-Poly incubation programs and, along with Columbia University, engages inventors at several research institutions in New York City and on Long Island. Both programs are expected to "feed" successful graduates to the affilated incubators.
HTR also recently announced that Ovitz, an early-stage venture built around technology developed at the University of Rochester's Flaum Eye Institute, won a $10,000 award from Excell Partners at the conclusion of the annual Pre-Seed Workshop hosted by HTR.
FluxData graduates from Venture Creations incubator, taking 4,500 square feet of commercial space; ClearCove Systems enters, with support from NYSERDA clean-energy incubatorSubmitted by admin on November 27, 2013 - 9:56pm
FluxData Incorporated, a manufacturer of advanced-technology multi-spectral cameras, is graduating after five years at the Venture Creations incubator at RIT. The firm becomes the second Venture Creations graduate this year to move to Rochester's Neighborhood of the Arts (NOTA). With eight employees, FluxData will double in size to 4,500 square feet of commercial space at the Village Gate center. The news release from RIT underlines how residency in a university-related incubator helped FluxData arrange important collaborations with RIT imaging-science research programs and hire students as "co-ops" (paid work experience for academic credit).
A separate story from RIT also highlights the relatively recent arrival at the incubator of ClearCove Systems, a firm developing innovative and energy-generating wastewater treatment technology. The company was founded by two alumni who had been roommates in the Class of 1981, again underlining the importance of alumni to university efforts in innovation and entrepreneurship. The company has private financing and is testing its technology at a municipal wastewater system near Ithaca. It is a resident tenant and also a client of the NYSERDA-sponsored Clean Energy Incubator co-housed at Venture Creations.
Tenant/clients of our members show well in list of companies receiving investments from VC funds backed by the state's Innovate NY FundSubmitted by admin on November 27, 2013 - 9:25pm
Incubator tenants and clients figured prominently in a list of startup companies invested in by venture funds receiving support through the State of New York's Innovate NY Fund, according to a list published by Empire State Development. Among the investee companies closely identified with our member incubators and research parks are:
- Advanced Feed Technologies, a tenant of The Technology Farm, aka the Cornell Agriculture & Food Technology Park, in Geneva;
- First Wave Products, a tenant of the Dr. Bruce A. Holm Upstate MeTtech Commercialization Centre in Batavia;
- Mezmeriz, a tenant of the Cornell University Business & Technology Park in Ithaca;
- StrongArm Technologies, a student-initiated venture that has received services from both the Venture Creations incubator at Rochester Institute of Technology and the Zahn Center at CUNY/City College of New York; and
- The Worldwide App, a tenant of the SUNY Fredonia Technology Incubator in Dunkirk.
Members of our association were among the first supporters of innovation to be introduced to the Innovate NY-backed funds back at our 2012 annual meeting in Buffalo.