- Find an incubator in NYS
- Clean energy incubators and pre-incubators
- Student incubators
- Coworking space within incubators
- Seed stage investment funds in NYS
- Angel investor groups in NYS
- Research parks in NYS
- SUNY Incubators Fact Sheet
- Small-business resources on 'New York First' economic-development portal
- NYS handbooks for entrepreneurs
- Upstate NY Resources
- NYS START-UP NY tax-free zones
- Events calendar
Submitted by admin on June 19, 2015 - 9:47pm
The day preceding our 2015 annual meeting, our sponsor the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) convened its first-ever meeting of all the contractors in its incubator, proof-of-concept center, and other innovation programs. This session was followed by a coordinating meeting with the state-designated Innovation Hot Spots that hold contracts from the NYSTAR division of Empire State Development.
Many of these incubators, proof-of-concept centers, and related programs are operated by our members, or by sibling programs in the same parent organization. Below are download links to the presentations which we have received permission to post publicly. Reviewing these short documents is an an excellent way to understand their respective approaches and accomplishments.
The NYSERDA and NYSTAR contracts all make cost-effective use of existing incubator infrastructure and management, by adding staff and programs dedicated to the agencies' specific objectives. We are very pleased with our partnerships with NYSERDA and NYSTAR and thank the program managers at both entities.
Submitted by admin on June 14, 2015 - 7:50pm
Our 2015 annual meeting, held this year at Cornell University in Ithaca, attracted a record 100 attendees from around the state — all people actively committed to innovation & entrepreneurship.
Ithaca is home to several incubators, a research and technology park, and the state-designated Innovation Hot Spot for the Southern Tier economic region, which is known as the Southern Tier Startup Alliance. Strong attendance was an outcome of coprogramming with the Upstate Venture Association of New York (UVANY), which held one of its regional meetings the night before in downtown Ithaca, and NYSERDA and NYSTAR, which held contractor meetings with various NYS-supported incubator programs.
Our featured lunch speaker was Julie Lenzer Kirk, director of the Office of Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the Economic Development Administration (EDA), an arm of the U.S. Department of Commerce. The OIE's Regional Innovation Strategies program has recently made three significant grants to New York State incubators, and the office also coordinates multi-agency initiatives across the federal government. Read more
Submitted by admin on April 28, 2015 - 11:17am
Statewide and regional business plan competitions selected tenants of our member incubators as winners:
- Uma Bioseed, a student startup working with technology in the portfolio of a Cornell spinoff housed at the McGovern Family Center for Venture Development in the Life Sciences, won the $100,000 grand prize in the NYS Business Plan Competition;
- Volu, a student-initiated business at Syracuse University and a tenant of The Tech Garden, won a first place award and $10,000 at the New York State Business Plan Competition.
- Splyce eSports, a videogaming client of RIT's Venture Creations incubator, won first place and $25,000 plus free services in the Rochester Venture Challenge co-managed by RIT and High Tech Rochester.
Submitted by admin on March 24, 2015 - 5:33pm
The latest two batches of companies approved for the state's tax-free START-UP NY program once again include several firms either collocating with or graduating from our member incubators:
- Locating at the BNMC Thomas Beecher Jr. Innovation Center: Adiabatic Solutions, LLC (a winner of the state-sponsored 43North Buffalo business plan competition); DaStrong Corp.;
- Graduating from RIT Venture Creations incubator and moving into a START-UP zone in downtown Rochester: ClearCove Systems; and Darkwind Media Ltd.
- Locating at Venture Creations: Optel, Inc.
- Locating at Broad Hollow Bioscience Park: Mitogenetics, LLC, and Codagenix, Inc.
- Locating at Stony Brook University's flagship LIHTI incubator: C&M Robotics Co. Ltd.; QB Sonic, Inc.; AJES Life Sciences, LLC; Theragnostic Technologies, Inc.; SyncroPET Inc.
- Locating at Stony Brook's CEWIT incubator: BriteHome, LLC; STS Global Inc.;