Some 75 members and guests were in attendance at the daylong 2011 Annual Meeting of the BIA/NYS, held at the Empire State Plaza Convention Center in Albany.
Our regional host was the Center for Economic Growth, whose Executive Vice President Jeff Lawrence opened with an overview of business incubation in the Tech Valley/Capital Region (presentation attached).
Featured speakers included:
- U.S. Rep. Paul D. Tonko, member of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology;
- Assemblyman Robin Schimminger, chairman of the Assembly Committee on Economic Development, Job Creation, Commerce and Industry (news release attached);
- David Monkman, President and CEO of the National Business Incubation Association (presentation attached);
- Edward Reinfurt, Division Director, Division for Science, Technology and Innovation of the Empire State Development Corporation.
A welcome message from Senator Kirsten Gillibrand was read by a staff member, and the meeting also heard from Steven Taylor, principal analyst for the state Senate Finance Majority staff. The members also heard programmatic updates from:
- Marnie LaVigne, of the University at Buffalo Center of Excellence in Bioinformatics and Life Sciences, on the JumpStart New York project supported by the U.S. Economic Development Administration and others (presentation attached);
- Robert Herz, of the South Side Innovation Center at Syracuse University, on the Entrepreneurial Awareness screening tool used by SSIC to improve chances of success (presentation attached); and
- Michael Shimazu, of NYSERDA, on the several clean energy incubators created under NYSERDA contracts during the past two years, and associated programming (presentation attached).
Other guests at the meeting included Mark Skinner, vice president of the State Science and Technology Institute (SSTI), and director of its Regional Innovation Acceleration Network (RIAN) project sponsored by the U.S. Economic Development Administration.
Meeting sponsors were the Research Foundation of the State University of New York, the Center for Economic Growth, Marshall & Sterling Insurance, The StartupWheel, the New York State Economic Development Council, and Zone5. We thank them all!
At the conclusion of the meeting, the members elected four persons to vacancies on its board of directors:
- Robert Fritzinger (SUNY Fredonia Technology Incubator)
- Jeffrey A. Lawrence (CEG/Watervliet Innovation Center);
- B. Thomas Mancuso (Mancuso Business Development Group);
- Martin I. Saposnick (Hudson Valley Center for Innovation).
The board for the 2011-2012 year elected the following officers:
- Chair: Ann-Marie Scheidt, Ph.D. (Stony Brook University Office of Economic Development, Stony Brook Incubator Programs);
- Vice Chair: James R. Senall (High Tech Rochester/Lennox Tech Enterprise Center and Rochester BioVenture Center)
- Secretary: Robert Fritzinger (SUNY Fredonia Technology Incubator)
- Treasurer: Ira S. Rubenstein (CEEP, Inc.)
The members recognized with thanks directors leaving the board this year:
- Founding chairman Woody Maggard (UB Technology Incubator and Downtown Biomedical Incubator, STOR);
- Les Neumann (Hudson Valley Center for Innovation); and
- Richard Usas (retired from the Harriman Research and Technology Development Corp./ESDC).
The board also determined to organize an advisory committee comprising all willing former directors.
Minutes of the meeting are under preparation and will be distributed to the members.
UPDATE: Coverage from the Innovation Trail public radio project!