High Tech Rochester’s two business incubators and Rochester Institute of Technology’s Venture Creations incubator, which already collaborate on the Rochester Regional Business Plan Competition, are now more closely coordinated than ever through a NYS-funded regional Innovation Hot Spot co-led by HTR and RIT. Both incubator programs recently released waves of news:
- The first, second, and third place winners of the Rochester Regional Business Plan Competiton (Ovitz Corporation, Advanced Quantum Imaging, and RWP Energy) will receive in addition to cash prizes free incubation services from HTR.
- One of the two runners-up, IMSWorkX, Inc., is already a tenant/client of RIT’s Venture Creations incubator and will receive additional in-kind services as it advances its platform for IP-based communications services.
- The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle covered the work of Venture Creations tenant Darkwind Media Ltd., which is one of the early game developers for Microsoft’s Xbox One. Story and video here and news release here.
- In a new series of detailed profiles, HTR described the various ways in which it has helped tenant Koning Corporation accelerate the development of its new diagnostic for early detection of breast cancer. Profile here.
- HTR and Governor Cuomo also jointly announced the winners of seed awards through the NEXUS-NY proof of concept center funded at HTR by NYSERDA. These $55,000 awards combined with business mentoring amount to a pre-incubation program for clean energy entrepreneurs and early-stage clean-energy technologies emerging from upstate universities (including in the first round RIT, Cornell, SUNY ESF, RPI, and SUNY Albany).
- Among the winners was Hydratics, a tenant-client of RIT Venture Creations that is pursuing low-power desalination technology. For more, see a news story.
- WROC-TV 8 visited ClearCove Systems, an energy-from-wastewater company also incubating at Venture Creations and testing at municipal waste systems in Ithaca and Albany.